The best port of departure to your Italian ancestors' adventure
Italian Last Names (Cognomi Italiani)
There’s also an interesting point about misspelled surnames because of immigration issues. You’ll find in this list several variations of the same surname.
Italian Surnames List
More than 40,000 surnames currently used in Italy. With every surname, you’ll find an access to external links containing information about them: where the surname is geographically located in Italy, how it’s distributed into provinces; its meaning, its origin and its coat of arms (in the case of having one). Read MoreBrowse on this list:
Browse on this list (new database - under construction)
Maps Showing Locations of Italian Surnames.
Distribution of the surnames according to regions, provinces or Italian communes.
Coats of arms do not represent a surname, but a specific family carrying that coat ofarms.
Nomi e cognomi - Saggio di ricerche e Storiche etimologiche, by Angelo Bongioanni.
The results will be presented in decreasing order of popularity.
A large number of Italian surnames derive from first names with a Latin origin.
- Rare Given Names in Early Italian Records - Regalis
- Italian Given Names and their English Equivalents
- Italian Naming Traditions and their Ramifications- Italian Genealogy.com
- Why Italian Surnames Changed - by Nuccia
- Common Suffixes in Italian Surnames
Meaning and Originis
- Origin and Etymology of Italian surnames - History of surnames.
- Italian Surname Meanings & Origins - About.com Genealogy - If you think your family name may have come from Italy, then tracing its history can yield important clues to your Italian heritage and ancestral village.
- Exploring the History and Meaning of Italian Surnames - Surnames and their Meanings
- Origine E Storia Dei Cognomi Italiani - by Ettore Rossoni
Lists of Italian Surnames
There are some sites in Internet where genealogists can add the surname they are interested in, giving the reference of their own e-mails to be later contacted. The goal of these databases is to contact people searching for the same surname, to exchange information and perhaps to discover that they have some common relative. When a surname is found, we can contact the visitor who left his or her e-mail on there. There are several websites in English containing these lists: Italian Surname Database and AviTree