The best port of departure to your Italian ancestors' adventure
Italian Genealogical Records Online
Currently based in Italy, many associations of genealogists and archivists projects are focused on saving its heritage preserved in Italian parishes, which is in serious danger of deterioration. Thus, many volunteers are taking data from these books and loading them up to the web.
There are also initiatives from individuals, who transcript all births, marriages, deaths, censuses and documents from civil acts conserved in several Italian communes. There are also another projects such as that of Family Search or Ancestry or projects of Italian state archives.
Here’s a maps of these projects:
- On the research of disappeared “Garibaldini”
- Fallen Italian soldiers in the First and Second World War
- Historical Archive of the Bank of Naples (Banco di Napoli) - Italian Immigrants who sent money to Italy via the Bank of Naples
- Portale della Storia degli Italiani
- Index of birth, marriage and deaths of Italian Communes in Family Search
Family Search has put online a very interesting source of information. The data was gathered years ago by volunteers, members of the LDS Church who copied acts from microfilms of several Italian communes. These indexations are partial, which means, records of a Parish or of a Commune were not completely indexed.
- Italian Virtual Cemeteries
- Italian newspapers digitized
- Casellario Politico Centrale (CPC) Political Central File
- Military records available on line and in LDS microfilm
- FamilySearch Unites with Italian Archive Organization to Digitize Civil Registration Records - More than 23 million images and four million searchable names from Italian genealogical records that were previously available only in archives or on microfilm are now available on the Church’s family history research site, new.FamilySearch.org. Through the efforts of thousands of volunteers participating in the Italy Civil Registration Project, individuals now have access to birth, marriage, and death records for Italian ancestors in a searchable database.